Anwar’s eligibility for PD contest questioned

Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim took to task certain quarters who questioned the royal pardon he received from the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Sultan Muhammad V, as recommended by the Parole Board, four months ago.

“I was concerned since I didn’t have to sign anything. But in his (prison director) statement, he said I didn’t have to sign anything because the record had been cleared completely. Suddenly, four months later, the issue is being brought up again,” he said.

Apart from Anwar who will be contesting in Port Dickson under the Pakatan Harapan banner, the others who had indicated of contesting in the by-election are Pas’ Lt-Col (rtd) Mohd Nazari Mokhtar , social media personality Stevie Chan Keng Leong and Parti Rakyat Malaysia which had said that it will put up a candidate.

PORT DICKSON: PKR de-factor leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim took to task certain quarters who questioned the royal pardon he received from the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Sultan Muhammad V, as recommended by the Parole Board, four months ago.

Among the issues raised was the absence of full contents of the Royal pardon document signed by the King last May, which enabled Anwar’s release from imprisonment.

The incoming PKR president said, the royal pardon was read-out by the Sungai Buloh prison director to him, witnessed by his wife and deputy prime minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, at their residence in Kuala Lumpur.

“I was concerned since I didn’t have to sign anything. But in his (prison director) statement, he said I didn’t have to sign anything because the record had been cleared completely. Suddenly, four months later, the issue is being brought up again,” he said.

“When you had been released (from prison) it’s normal that one or two people are not satisfied. We can’t stop people from giving their opinion. Maybe after 20 years they realised that Anwar will not be a Malaysian leader, but only a Malay extremist.

“You can’t stop people from using this issue and ask questions, but you can’t cast questions on the judgement because the fact is there,” he told reporters after attending PKR’s Supreme Council meeting here.

Anwar was commenting on questions being posed on his eligibility as a candidate for the Port Dickson by-election.

Asked on whether he was prepared to face more allegations in the run-up to the Port Dickson by-election on Oct 13, Anwar said he had been through so many things for the past 20 years.

“It has been 20 years. What else?” he said.

The Port Dickson’s Parliamentary seat was vacated by incumbent Datuk Danyal Balagopal Abdullah to pave the way for Anwar to compete to become a Member of Parliament.

Apart from Anwar who will be contesting under the Pakatan Harapan banner, the others who had indicated of contesting in the by-election are Pas’ Lt-Col (rtd) Mohd Nazari Mokhtar , social media personality Stevie Chan Keng Leong and Parti Rakyat Malaysia which had said that it will put up a candidate.

The Election Commission fixed the Port Dickson PRK on Oct 13, nomination day was set on Sept 29 while early voting would be on Oct 9.

Source: NST Online

Comments

Comments