…but defiant Mohamad Sabu says Padang Timur rally is ‘all systems go’

TTF: Earlier, TTF carried a report by Bernama quoting the IGP as saying PDRM disallowed the planned rally at Padang Timur. Mohamed Sabu appears to be doing what Dato’ Seri Anwar Ibrahim trained Pakatan to do, which is to defy authorities just to gain public sympathy and appear victims of political oppression 

KUALA LUMPUR: Pakatan Harapan (PH) will go ahead with its planned rally Saturday at Padang Timur in Petaling Jaya, Selangor despite police objection to the venue.

The four-party Opposition pact’s deputy president Mohamad Sabu said the police had given too short a notice for the organisers to change the venue, the Sun Daily reported on its website this afternoon.

“There is no other venue. As this is a stationary gathering, it incurred high cost in installing the broadcasting system such as the LCD screen,” the Parti Amanah Negara president was quoted telling a news conference at ally, Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia’s (PPBM) headquarters in Petaling Jaya.

Mohamad, better known as Mat Sabu, was reported to have received a notice from Petaling Jaya district police chief Mohd Zani Che Din objecting to the October 14 rally planned from 4pm to midnight on grounds of traffic congestion and crowd control.

According to the news report, Mohd Zani had suggested relocating the rally to MBPJ Stadium at a previous meeting.

The 30,000-people capacity stadium, located in Kelana Jaya was also the alternative venue cited by Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamed Fuzi Harun earlier today who said the grounds were better suited for the rally compared to the 10,000 capacity open field situated near the Federal Highway. He had also offered police help with crowd control if PH chose to shift its rally to the stadium.

Mohamad was saying the organisers will write to the police to inform them of its cooperation with the authorities to manage the traffic during the rally.

The same news report also quoted Selangor DAP chief Tony Pua urging the police not to block the PH rally when its organisers were already complying with the conditions under the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012.

“We have been very cooperative. The police previously said no to marches and that gatherings need to be held on a field and in a controlled area. We are practically facilitating everything.

“What else do they want?” he reportedly asked.

Source: The Malay Mail Online

Comments

Comments