The purpose of my suit is to ensure YAB Lim takes responsibility for what he had said before and not to simply accuse others of defaming him when I had not
1. I refer to the press statement released by the Penang Chief Minister’s Office (CMO) dated 2nd July 2017 which stated that the CM had no choice but to sue me for alleged defamation on the basis that the CM had no said such words.
2. Subsequent to that, I had issued a denial on the same day where I had provided a link to the CM’s official statement on 1st July 2016 proving that he had said such words.
3. As of today, almost four weeks after his threat to sue, I have yet to receive any legal letter from YAB Lim Guan Eng or his lawyers.
4. As I am tired of waiting for the letter from YAB Lim, I have instructed my lawyers to issue a letter of demand to YAB Lim by next week to comply with my demands – failing with, I shall commence a legal suit against him.
5. In my suit, I will demand that YAB Lim and/or the CMO prove that I had ever issued a statement that said Lim Guan Eng had made such a statement or a speech on 1st July 2017 in the DAP Penang Hari Raya Aidilfitri Open House in Jawi, Nibong Tebal – the alleged issue which the CMO’s statement deemed as defamatory.
6. I also want YAB LIm and/or the CMO to prove that the following statements did not come from his press statement dated 1st July 2016.
“Ordinary Penangites Know What Is At Stake Is Pakatan’s i-Sejahtera Program From A Clean Government. These ordinary Penangites are angry that the leader of a clean government is now charged for corruption and that the RM400 million contributions under i-sejahtera program is under threat.”
7. The purpose of my suit is to ensure YAB Lim takes responsibility for what he had said before and not to simply accuse others of defaming him when I had not.
8. Instead of threatening to sue and attempting to discredit me, actually replying to our questions would have been more democratic.
9. It is also to send a message to him that that he cannot and must not be allowed to repeatedly use legal avenues to silence his critics or the media organizations who are just doing their job to carry the messages of his critics.
Note: Eric is the Deputy Director of Barisan Nasional’s Strategic Communications team