Families of abducted duo say lawyers threatening to sue govt don’t represent them

The Suhakam public inquiry concluded on Wednesday (April 3) that there was direct and circumstantial evidence which proved, on balance of probabilities, that Koh and Amri were abducted by the Special Branch of Bukit Aman. Source (pic): The Star Online

The lawyers threatening legal action against the government over the case of Pastor Raymond Koh and activist Amri Che Mat do not represent the missing persons’ family members, says their lawyer Sheryll Stothard.

“Susanna and Norhayati understand the outrage Malaysians feel upon reading the facts that were uncovered during the Suhakam inquiry into their husbands’ abductions because they and their families lived this horror on a daily basis over the last few years.

“However, both of them have not made any firm decisions regarding their next steps except to reiterate their support for Suhakam’s recommendations to the government in the decisions announced on April 3,” she said. 


PETALING JAYA: The lawyers threatening legal action against the government over the case of Pastor Raymond Koh and activist Amri Che Mat do not represent the missing persons’ family members, says their lawyer Sheryll Stothard.

According to her, those who wanted to take the government to court over the case had not spoken to the families about the matter yet.

“On behalf of Susanna Koh (Koh’s wife) and Norhayati Mohd Ariffin (Amri’s wife) who I represent, I wish to clarify that Andy Yong, and all the lawyers who were present at this press conference organised by Yong, do not represent the families of Koh and Amri.


“Yong has never spoken with my clients at any time, from the day their husbands were abducted,” she said in a statement on Saturday (April 6).

Earlier on Saturday (April 6), a group of individual lawyers and NGO Citizens Against Enforced Disappearances (CAGED) held a press conference saying that the government had one month to prioritise investigations into the two case.

If the government failed to respond, the group said, it would take the government to court under the Government Proceedings Act.

The group did clarify that they would be approaching family members of the missing persons to ask if they wanted to participate.

Stothard said while Susanna and Norhayati were grateful for the support of the Malaysian community, they had not decided on their next course of action.

“Susanna and Norhayati are touched by the outpouring of sympathy from so many Malaysians to their plight.

“They are especially grateful to Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) and the dedicated team of lawyers and aides who have worked tirelessly on pro bono basis on these cases.

“Susanna and Norhayati understand the outrage Malaysians feel upon reading the facts that were uncovered during the Suhakam inquiry into their husbands’ abductions because they and their families lived this horror on a daily basis over the last few years.

“However, both of them have not made any firm decisions regarding their next steps except to reiterate their support for Suhakam’s recommendations to the government in the decisions announced on April 3,” she said.

Stothard also said any significant developments in the case would be announced to the Malaysian public.

The Suhakam public inquiry concluded on Wednesday (April 3) that there was direct and circumstantial evidence which proved, on balance of probabilities, that Koh and Amri were abducted by the Special Branch of Bukit Aman.

On Wednesday (April 3), Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said an investigation into Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun would be conducted once he retired as IGP on May 4.

Mohamad Fuzi was the Special Branch head at the time the two men went missing.

Koh went missing in 2017 after he was abducted by a group of men in a “professional” style in Petaling Jaya.

Amri, who was investigated for allegedly spreading Syiah teachings, went missing in 2016 after he left his home in Kangar.

Source:

Loading...

COMMENTS

Comments

Comments



Loading...