Financial constraints among reasons only a fifth of KL folk chose to ‘balik kampung’ for Hari Raya

The UCSI Poll Research Centre’s qualitative and quantitative approaches were conducted between June 1 and 4 and took a sample of 555 respondents living in Kuala Lumpur. Source (pic): MMO

A total of 22.7 per cent of respondents polled in a recent survey here said they were willing to travel back to their hometowns during the Hari Raya holidays while 20.5 per cent had no plans to do so, according to the UCSI Poll Research Centre’s consumer sentiment index.

The survey also found that 31.2 per cent of the respondents visited their families and held reunions fewer than three times a year while 16 per cent visited their families not more than once a year.


KUALA LUMPUR: A total of 22.7 per cent of respondents polled in a recent survey here said they were willing to travel back to their hometowns during the Hari Raya holidays while 20.5 per cent had no plans to do so, according to the UCSI Poll Research Centre’s consumer sentiment index.

Chief executive assistant Prof Dr Noppadon Kanika said one reason why respondents rarely or do not return home for reunions could be due to financial constraints.

He said the results also showed that over a hundred of them budgeted only RM250 and below per trip.


“Interestingly, our result showed that 29.9 per cent planned to spend more than RM1,500 for a holiday trip and 29.1 per cent planned to spend between RM501 and RM1,500. One half of the remaining 41 per cent planned to spend RM251 and RM500 during the Raya trip,’’ he said in a statement here today.

The survey also found that 31.2 per cent of the respondents visited their families and held reunions fewer than three times a year while 16 per cent visited their families not more than once a year.

As for shopping prior to the Raya break, the survey showed that about a fifth or 21.4 per cent of the respondents shopped online while the majority (78.6 per cent) shopped at retail outlets.

The majority or 62.9 per cent of respondents in the survey were below the age of 39 while the remaining 37.1 per cent were aged above 40 years.

The UCSI Poll Research Centre’s qualitative and quantitative approaches were conducted between June 1 and 4 and took a sample of 555 respondents living in Kuala Lumpur. 

Source:

Loading...

COMMENTS

Comments

Comments



Loading...