Kampung Baru: Daim attends Khalid’s briefing, pays close attention, then leaves without commenting

When asked whether he, as a landowner in Kampung Baru, agreed to the offer, Daim said it was his family’s land, not his. Source (pic): TTF Files

Tun Daim Zainuddin surprised many today when he showed up at Kampung Baru’s Kelab Sultan Sulaiman for a government briefing on the redevelopment of the city’s Malay enclave.

Last year, Daim had urged landowners in Kampung Baru to unite and reach a decision or risk being adversely affected. He also pledged to support the people there by attending any congress organised by them on what was to be done to their land.

Daim, who left after the briefing and a portion of the question-and-answer session, did not speak at the event but was seen to be paying close attention to what transpired at the briefing that was chaired by Khalid, who was aided by Kampung Baru Development Corp (KBDC) chief executive officer Zulkurnain Hassan.

However when asked to comment about the event Daim merely replied: “Lain kali lah” (another time).”


KUALA LUMPUR: Tun Daim Zainuddin surprised many today when he showed up at Kampung Baru’s Kelab Sultan Sulaiman for a government briefing on the redevelopment of the city’s Malay enclave.

The visit by the 81-year-old former finance minister and Council of Eminent Persons chairman comes just days before the Nov 30 deadline, when Kampung Baru’s landowners are due to give their decision on the sale of their land.




So far 1,882 or 35.1 per cent of the 5,359 Kampung Baru landowners have submitted feedback forms to declare whether they agreed or disagreed with the government’s offer to buy their plots at RM1,000 per square foot.

The offer is however limited to a maximum of RM850 per sq ft in cash, with the remaining amount to be delivered by way of shares in a special purpose vehicle (SPV) that will be set up to facilitate redevelopment.

Of those who have come with an answer, 1,773 (33 per cent) have agreed to take up the offer while the rest have said no.

Last year, Daim had urged landowners in Kampung Baru to unite and reach a decision or risk being adversely affected. He also pledged to support the people there by attending any congress organised by them on what was to be done to their land.

Today’s event also saw the attendance of Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad and Rural Development Minister Datuk Seri Rina Harun.

Both were understood to have rearranged their schedules to attend the briefing with Daim.

A source said Khalid was due to be in Labuan as part of preparations for the Yang Di-pertuan Agong’s visit, but the minister delayed his flight to the afternoon to accommodate Daim’s visit.

Loading...

Rina was also expected to be at a Majlis Amanah Rakyat event.

Daim, who left after the briefing and a portion of the question-and-answer session, did not speak at the event but was seen to be paying close attention to what transpired at the briefing that was chaired by Khalid, who was aided by Kampung Baru Development Corp (KBDC) chief executive officer Zulkurnain Hassan.

However when asked to comment about the event Daim merely replied: “Lain kali lah” (another time).”

When asked whether he, as a landowner in Kampung Baru, agreed to the offer, Daim said it was his family’s land, not his.

Khalid, when pressed by reporters, said the deadline for the submission of the feedback forms would not be extended even though they had only received them from 35.1 per cent of the respondents so far.

He said this was because the ministry was looking to finalise the redevelopment plans by June 2020.

At the briefing, Khalid also said that the development could start with a minimum referendum if at least 80 per cent of the owners agreed with the plans.

“I am not ashamed because this is a good rate for land and I have offered more.

“Developers are only giving RM900 flat per sq ft. One acre would draw a value of RM43.5 million,” he said, adding that the ministry was hoping to finalise everything by June next year.

Khalid had earlier estimated that the government would spend around RM6.7 billion using the RM1,000 per sq ft calculation.

The gross development value of the area is estimated to be around RM30 billion.

The 120-year-old Kampung Baru covers six villages and a 120ha expanse of land in the middle of the city. Of the 80ha earmarked for redevelopment, 62ha or 77.5 per cent is privately owned.

The issue of redeveloping the enclave has been bandied about for the past few decades.

However, the sheer number of landowners and the fact that some are unregistered, have died or are embroiled in small estate disputes, have complicated matters.

Source:



Your donation is much appreciated and will go a long way towards helping us serve you better. Click the donate button below to make a contribution (you don't need a Paypal account to donate through Paypal, simply follow the instructions once you click the button).


SUBSCRIBE TO US ON YOUTUBE:



YOUTUBE: THE THIRD FORCE

TELEGRAM: Raggie Jessy Rithaudeen

TWITTER: Raggie Jessy Rithaudeen

WEBSITE: raggiejessyrithaudeen.com

Loading...

COMMENTS

Comments

Comments



Loading...