The scandal was among the biggest when Dr Mahathir was prime minister but remained unresolved till he resigned in October 2003
KUALA LUMPUR, June 23 — Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has “no problem” in attending any inquiry related to the multi-billion ringgit forex losses during his time as prime minister, his lawyer said.
Mohamad Haniff Kathri stressed that Dr Mahathir has always co-operated with any investigation into the scandal allegedly incurred by Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM).
“Dr Mahathir has consistently stated clearly that he has no problem in attending any court or inquiry which has been legally formed to answer all the baseless allegations that has been thrown on him.
“It has to be stressed that Dr Mahathir has never been called up to help with the special task force until today,” he said in a Facebook posting yesterday.
The Prime Minister’s Office issued a statement on Wednesday saying the Cabinet agreed on the formation of a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) after a special task force on the same matter determined that there was sufficient evidence warranting further investigation.
The special task force, formed in February, found that actual losses were greater than what was previously presented to former ministers and Parliament.
The special task force also discovered that facts of the case had been obfuscated through the presentation of misleading information to ministers and lawmakers previously.
The scandal was among the biggest when Dr Mahathir was prime minister but remained unresolved till he resigned in October 2003.
Source: The Malay Mail Online