Tommy Thomas denies trying to interrupt Adib inquest

Thomas in his affidavit objecting to the contempt of court application said he had issued another media statement to clarify Syazlin’s withdrawal. Source (pic): TTF

Attorney-General (AG) Tommy Thomas today refuted an allegation that he was seeking to interrupt the inquest proceedings of deceased fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim.

The government’s top legal officer in his affidavit filed at the Coroner’s Court said the allegation was raised due to the media statement and affidavit filed by former deputy public prosecutor Hamdan Hamzah who acted as the conducting officer on April 3.

This led Adib’s father Mohd Kassim Abdul Hamid to file a contempt of court application against Thomas, accusing the latter of interfering the inquest before the court (Coroner) made the decision.


SHAH ALAM: Attorney-General (AG) Tommy Thomas today refuted an allegation that he was seeking to interrupt the inquest proceedings of deceased fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim.

The government’s top legal officer in his affidavit filed at the Coroner’s Court said the allegation was raised due to the media statement and affidavit filed by former deputy public prosecutor Hamdan Hamzah who acted as the conducting officer on April 3.

The media statement distributed on May 28 was in relation to withdrawal of lawyer Syazlin Mansor from representing the Housing and Local Government Ministry and the Fire and Rescue Department.


Meanwhile, the affidavit filed by Hamdan at the Court of Appeal stated that Adib’s injuries were not caused by him being beaten up by the rioters.

This led Adib’s father Mohd Kassim Abdul Hamid to file a contempt of court application against Thomas, accusing the latter of interfering the inquest before the court (Coroner) made the decision.

The AG in his affidavit objecting to the contempt of court application said he had issued another media statement to clarify Syazlin’s withdrawal.

“Her (Syazlin) sudden withdrawal had caused confusion and speculation to the public.

“I did issue another media statement to clear the air,” he said.

On the affidavit filed at the Court of Appeal, Tommy said he did not met Hamdan and all affidavits filed by the latter regarding Adib’s inquest were not under his direct instruction.

“It was under his (Hamdan’s) job scope as the conducting officer and any conclusion drawn by the application regarding the affidavit is mischievous,” he said.

He said Hamdan filed the affidavit in April to object an appeal and a stay of the application brought by he Save Seafield Mariamman Temple Task Force which wanted to be included in the inquest.

The affidavit states that Adib’s injuries were not caused by him being beaten up by rioters in front of Sri Mariamman temple in Subang Jaya on Nov 27.

Adib’s family was represented by counsel Haniff Katri Abdullam while Senior Federal Counsel S. Narkunavathy representing the AGC.

The court fixed Aug 9 for decision.

Adib, 24, was reported to have been critically injured when he and a team of firemen answered a distress call about a vehicle on fire outside the Sri Maha Mariamman temple in Subang Jaya on Nov 27.

Initial reports claimed that he had been assaulted by a group of rioters. However, this has yet to be ascertained.

Adib was taken to Subang Jaya Medical Centre and later transferred to the National Heart Institute. Despite showing signs of recovery, Adib passed away on Dec 17.

Source:

Loading...

COMMENTS

Comments

Comments



Loading...