Vincent Tan blamed for MAHB worker’s death

There have been many press reports and social media comments attacking Berjaya Air, its crew and Vincent personally for the accident. Source (pic): Says

Berjaya Group founder Tan Sri Vincent Tan has blamed airport authorities for negligence in the death of a Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) worker in an accident at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang on Monday.

Meanwhile, in a separate statement, Berjaya Air said the flight was carried out in accordance with an approved flight plan which was submitted to the Air Traffic Control Centre prior to its scheduled arrival at the airport.


KUALA LUMPUR: Berjaya Group founder Tan Sri Vincent Tan has blamed airport authorities for negligence in the death of a Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) worker in an accident at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang on Monday.

He offered his condolences to the family of Mohd Ruzaimi Iskandar but denied accusations that Berjaya Air Sdn Bhd was to blame for the incident in a private aircraft collided with the vehicle the MAHB employee was in at the time.

The 39-year-old had died from his injuries two days later, after receiving intensive medical care in a private hospital.


“There have been many press reports and social media comments attacking Berjaya Air, its crew and me personally as if we are responsible for the accident,” Tan said in a statement.

“This is totally unfounded and incorrect. The fault for this incident must lie with the airport authorities.

“They should have given adequate advance warning to inbound aircraft that maintenance work was being carried out on the runway or close the airport altogether. No such warning was given and in my view the airport authority was negligent.”

He said the pilots adhered to proper operating flight and landing procedures.

“They obtained the necessary clearance from the Subang tower before they landed the aircraft. In fact had the obstruction on the runway not been a small maintenance vehicle but a truck or other heavy equipment, it could have resulted in a major disaster.

“The entire aircraft, crew and passengers could have perished in the accident,” he stressed.

Tan, however, gave his assurances that the company would give full cooperation to the authorities in regards to the ongoing investigation.

He also hopes that the incident would serve as a ‘wakeup’ call to the airport authorities to be more diligent in the future, adding that he would donate RM50,000 to Ruzaimi’s widow.

Ruzaimi was said to have been in the vehicle about 3.20am, while maintenance work was being carried out on the tarmac, when the incident took place.

He is survived by wife Nor Azawiah Md Usuf and four children, aged between 1 and 13.

Meanwhile, in a separate statement, Berjaya Air said the flight was carried out in accordance with an approved flight plan which was submitted to the Air Traffic Control Centre prior to its scheduled arrival at the airport.

It said there was no Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) issued which stated that maintenance work was being carried out.

“Landing clearance was requested by the pilot and the tower at the airport gave the clearance to land. There were no beacons or warning lights to alert the crew that there was the presence of maintenance workers or other obstructions on the runway.

“In fact the aircraft had already touched down and was decelerating when it collided with the maintenance vehicle,” it said.

It also pledged that it would extend its fullest assistance and cooperation to the relevant authorities.

Source:

Loading...

COMMENTS

Comments

Comments



Loading...