TTF: On the 25th of October 2017, Lim Guan Eng announced the setting up of a State Commission of Inquiry (SCI) to investigate a landslide tragedy that occurred along Lengkok Lembah Permai, Tanjung Bungah. Three weeks on, and not only have we yet to hear anything about the SCI, there hardly seems to be any talk by the state government about hillslope development or the Tanjung Bungah manslaughter.
So tell me, whatever happened to the SCI?
And why has the Chief Minister ignored repeated claims by TTF that the number of bodies buried beneath the construction site may have been much higher than the reported 11 while Search and Rescue (SaR) operations were still ongoing? Why has Guan Eng refused to make public the recommendations or findings of the various agencies the One-Stop Centre (OSC) committee referred to when deciding to override objections by the DoE?
Please lah, Guan Eng. Stop behaving like a typical apek and start owning up to the people! For a start, put together the bloody SCI and make damn sure you don’t forget to include Teh Yee Cheu (see news item below), a man who just might have what it takes to get to the bottom of things!!
GEORGE TOWN: Over 100 residents of Taman Seri Setia, Tanjung Bungah here gathered today to sign a petition urging the Penang DAP government to investigate the floods which hit the area last Sunday.
The petition will be handed over to Tanjung Bungah State Assemblyman Teh Yee Cheu who will submit it to the State Local Government, Traffic Management and Flood Mitigation Committee chairman Chow Kon Yeow, tomorrow.
Wong Fook Kong, 55, said the area had never experienced floods exceeding a metre before, and that this was the worst incident in history.
“Previously, even if there were flash floods, they were only up to ankle-height, and not up to the chest. A total of three low-cost apartments in the housing estate have been affected by the floods, whereby the houses on the ground floor have been filled with water. This is not clear water, but muddy flood waters,” he told reporters here today.
Wong, who has lived in the area for about 12 years said around 30 houses, 115 cars and 87 motorcycles were submerged in 1.5 metres high water during the floods.
Meanwhile, Teh who was also present said residents also urged the state government to stop development on the hillslopes because such development can cause floods in the area.
He said among other things, residents also requested the relevant authorities to improve and upgrade the drainage system in the area, as well as clean up the clogged drains which could not accommodate the gush of water, causing the massive floods.
Nearly all areas in Penang were affected by floods- with some areas submerged in 0.2 to 1m of water following strong winds and heavy rain last Saturday, which also uprooted dozens of trees.
The incident has so far claimed seven lives.